The purpose of Feng Shui is to bring peace, harmony and a sense of serenity and restfulness to you home and your life. The serenity you create in your home has a great deal of influence on your outlook.
There are areas in your home that lend themselves nicely to peace and rest; the left front section of the structure is particularly related to “Stillness.” In the Feng Shui Bagua (Ba-gua) Map, represented as a grid of nine sectors, his area is referred to as the “Knowledge and Self Cultivation Area”. It operates under the premise that we assimilate knowledge best when we also cultivate a peaceful mind by practicing some form of regular “keeping still.” This can be accomplished through meditation, contemplation, and introspection. Knowledge is viewed as the seed of wisdom, therefore when we spend time resting, our field of knowledge will be lush and productive. This teaching reminds us that to be brilliant, creative, and productive, we must also embrace stillness. “One cannot see one’s reflection in running water, but only in still water.” Chaung Tzu
The Bagua comes from the Chinese philosophy, “The I Ching,” and literally means “eight trigrams.” In the” I Ching” the Knowledge and Self Cultivation area of your home or business is called “still mountain” as it refers to taking the time to climb the peaceful inner space where you can integrate and assimilate your daily experiences.
Whatever room your Knowledge and Self Cultivation area resides, applying some basic Feng Shui principles can help you create a peaceful sanctuary.
Enhancements in this area are particularly helpful if you want to cultivate a more peaceful mind, restful space or lifestyle.
The element for the Knowledge area is Wood, and the colors are black, blues and greens, therefore representations of this element can be used inside and outside of your home or business.
Enhancements for energizing Knowledge and Self Cultivation inside your home or business:
* Keep this area clutter free, since clutter does not act to soothe the mind.
* Items in the colors of blues, greens, or black
* Items in the shape of columns or stripes
* Posters, paintings, collages and/or photos of mountains, woods, or anything that depicts a quiet outdoor space or meditation gardens, pictures or collages of figures such as teachers and wise people in your life in meditation, contemplation or repose
* Wooden tables or bookcases holding books, tapes or material being studied
* Healthy plants with rounded soft leaves
Enhancements for energizing Knowledge and Self Cultivation outside your home or business:
* This area is best enhanced outside with beautiful lush, healthy plants.
* Figurines of people you consider wise, or blue/green gazing balls
* A wooden or wicker bench or seating area for quiet reflection
Note: If this is where your front door is located, the Chi, the vital energy, is invited to flow in through a peaceful, serene entrance.
A Missing Knowledge Area:
If your knowledge area is missing from your floor plan - I recommend anchoring this area by doing one or a combination of the following: planting a lush meditative garden, adding a bench or quiet seating area, or placing a statue or gazing ball in the corner. The key is to complete the space, and simultaneously create a peaceful environment.