If you are entertaining a major kitchen remodel, like we experienced 6 years ago, or just sprucing it up, taking time to incorporate Feng Shui principles will bring you positive energy and harmony.
It is said that food and a warm kitchen is what makes a house a home. In Feng Shui food symbolizes health and wealth. When money is flowing we can afford to buy the best food to sustain good health. When we are in good health, we are best able to make a good living. Because food bridges the two treasures of wealth and health special attention is given to the place where food is prepared – the kitchen.
It is interesting to note that, like people, things also tend to congregate in kitchens – from, toys, shoes, homework, tools and gadgets. Kitchens easily become cluttered. To keep the Chi flowing and to support your desire to cook, kitchens should be returned to a clean state after each use.
Kitchens and the Bagua
The Feng Shui Bagua (Ba-gua) Map, is represented as a grid of nine sectors. The Bagua comes from the Chinese philosophy, “The I Ching,” and literally means “eight trigrams” with the center for grounding.
Kitchens should take on the qualities of the Bagua area they reside in. Here are some examples of using the Bagua enhancements for kitchens:
Kitchens in Career Area
* Items in items in black or very dark colors, glass/crystal items, items reflecting your work
* Art depicting water scenes (the sink in itself acts as a water feature)
Kitchens in Knowledge and Self Cultivation Area
* Items in wood, the colors of blues, greens, or black and in the shape of columns or stripes
* Healthy plants with rounded soft leaves and art depicting nature scenes
Kitchens in Friends/Family/Health Area
* Healthy floral arrangements, art depicting vibrant flowers, Items in wood, colors of blues, greens
* Photos of family, friends or representing perfect health
Kitchens in Wealth Area
* Opulent items in the purple color spectrum, art representing wealth.
* Healthy, round leaf plants
Kitchens in Fame Area
* Items in the colors red and inspirational sayings
* Art representing the fire element such as suns, sunsets (the stove and lighting also bring in the fire element)
Kitchens in Love and Marriage Area
* Pairs of items (candles, love birds, vases)
* Art or photos depicting romance, colors of reds, pinks and white
Kitchens in Children and Creativity Area
* Photos of children or items made by children (great place for children’s art on refrigerator)
* Items in metal and the colors of white and pastels, whimsical art
* Art pertaining to spiritual guides, mentors, helpful people or desired travel locations * Items in metal and colors of white, black or grey (most kitchens have metal appliances)
Kitchens in Center Area
* This is an auspicious location because food preparation is associated with the hearth
* Items and art in ceramics, the colors yellow, earth tones, and rectangle shapes